SWENSON Press Room
- SWENSON completes construction on Live Oak Crossing, a dynamic mixed-use community in Santa Cruz, June 2020
- SWENSON applies for demo permit for future site of mixed-use project in Oakland’s historic waterfront district, January 2020
- SWENSON honored with two project awards at Silicon Valley Business Journal 2019 Structures Awards, September 2019
- Barry And Molly Swenson to Receive Honorary Degree From Santa Clara University, June 2019
- Construction begins on Sunnyvale Hilton Homewood Suites, December 2018
- SWENSON And AMCAL Announce Completion Of The Top Floor Of The Graduate, November 2018
- Construction Begins On New Mixed-use Development In Santa Cruz, October 2018
- Construction Completed On Sobrato Hall East In San Jose, September 2018
- Construction Begins On Holden Of San Jose Senior Assisted & Memory Care, August 2018
- Housing Rehabilitation Brings New Life to Older Building, August 2018
- Five55 Begins Leasing in Downtown Santa Cruz, April 2018
- SWENSON Releases Downtown San Jose Urban Campus Vision, November 2017
- SWENSON And Amcal Break Ground On The Graduate, October 2017
- SWENSON makes Silicon Valley Business Journal top commercial property owners list, May 2017
- Midtown Arts Mercantile Grand Opening Thursday, Sept. 15
- SWENSON makes SF Bus Times largest Family Owned Businesses, June 2016
- SWENSON Awarded U.S. Patent for Landmaker, May 2016
- Swenson Tapped for Bay 101 Expansion, December 2015
- SpringHill Suites Marriott Construction Completed, August 2015
- Ceiba College Prep Charter School Construction Completed, May 2015
- The Atrium San Jose Construction Completed, April 2015
- Barry Swenson Builder Completes Construction of Meridian at Midtown Community, March 2015
- Barry Swenson Builder Honored for Commitment to Youth, March 2015
- Aptos Village Takes Shape, February 2015
- Barry Swenson Builder Moves Back Downtown Santa Cruz, February 2015
- Bicycle Park Closes – Aptos Village Moves Forward, November 2014
- Century Center Apartment Towers Breaks Ground in North San Jose, August 2014
- Barry Swenson Builder Breaks Ground On Gonzales Medical Office Building, July 2014
- The Magical Bridge Playground Partners With Barry Swenson Builder to Create the Nation’s Most Innovative Inclusive Playground, June 2014
- Barry Swenson Builder begins construction on new DMV location, May 2014
- Barry Swenson Builder lands new tenant at 98 South Second Street, May 2014
- Barry Swenson Builder Donates Downtown Land, January 2014
- Barry Swenson Builder Honored By Urban Land Institute, November 2013
- Barry Swenson Builder Opens the Bay School, August 2013
- BSB Partners with Veterans Administration for new Veterans Home in San Jose, July 2013
- Barry Swenson Builder and Marriott Partner Again on a San Jose Hotel, May 2013
- BSB Completes 445kw Solar Project for City of Santa Cruz, CA, May 2013
- BSB & Ninico Communications Honored by International Academy of Visual Arts, May 2013
- Taylor Farms Headquarters Under Construction in Salinas, CA, April 2013
- New Leaf Market signs at Aptos Village, March 2013
- Mountain View Co-Housing Project Release, March 2013
- BSB’s Santa Cruz Investment of $40M Release, Oct 2012
- Meridian Mixed Use Project Joint Release w/ Republic Urban Properties, Oct 2012
- Aptos Village Release, Oct 2012
- 35th Anniversary Release, Aug 2012
Award Winning Behind the Builder Campaign:
- Behind the Builder – A Conversation with BSB CEO Barry Swenson, Santa Cruz Sentinel 2013
- Behind the Builder – A Conversation with BSB SVP Steve Andrews, The Registry 2013
- Behind the Builder – A Conversation with BSB SVP David Gibbons, The Registry 2013
- Behing the Builder – A Conversation with BSB SVP William Ryan, The Registry 2013
Approved Photos for Media:
- 2016: Community Impact Award winner: Magical Bridge Playground | Structures 2016
- 2016: Market-Rate Residential Project winner: Centerra Apartments | Structures 2016
- 2014: SWENSON inducted into the Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce Business Hall of Fame
- 2014: SWENSON receives Mayoral Commendation in City of San Jose for its multi-decade financial commitment to the arts, specifically Children’s Musical Theatre
- 2013: SWENSON Honored by International Academy of Visual Arts, Davey Award for successful strategy & creative design
- 2013: SWENSON Honored by International Academy of Visual Arts, Communicator Award for “Behind the Builder” Campaign
- 2011: SWENSON named Business of the Year by Capitola-Soquel Chamber of Commerce
- 2011: SWENSON receives award as top contributor to local non-profits giving back over $500k to Silicon Valley non-profits
- 2010: SWENSON named Developer of the Year by Silicon Valley Business Journal
- 2010: SWENSON CFO Lee Ann Woodard wins Business Journal CFO of the year award
- 2009: Barry Swenson named to Mercury News’ Power 10 of Silicon Valley’s most influential citizens 2009: BSB receives acknowledgement as 5th largest General Contractor in the Bay Area
- 2006: Barry Swenson named Prince of Valley Real Estate by Valley Life Quarterly
- 2005: SWENSON receives Golden Nugget Award for Historic Re-use of Saratoga Retirement Community, Swenson recognized for Design-Build approach and push for Transit Oriented Development, by Green Business Quarterly
- 2004: SWENSON receives Runner Up Award for Developer of the Year
SWENSON in the News
3/31/2015 The Registry “Barry Swenson Builder Honored for Commitment to Youth”
Barry Swenson Builder (BSB), a division of Green Valley Corporation, announced today it has been recognized by the City of San Jose for its commitment to San Jose’s nationally acclaimed Children’s Musical Theater (CMT).
5/24/2013 The Registry “Barry Swenson Builder & Marriott Partner Again on San Jose Project”
Northern California developer and contractor Barry Swenson Builder (BSB) announced today it broke ground on two new San Jose hotels. Among several dignitaries, the event was attended by San Jose Councilmembers Sam Liccardo, Kansen Chu and Johnny Khamis; as well as the city’s director of economic development, Kim Walesh.
5/16/2013 The Registry “Foreigners Finance Real Estate Market to Gain US Citizenship”
Swenson is acting as the general contractor for the project, which entails a 175-room Residence Inn and a 146-room SpringHill Suites that share amenities. It is expected to take 30 months to build. The Residence Inn is an extended-stay hotel designed for visits of a month or more.
5/15/2013 The Registry“Barry Swenson Builder completes Solar Project for City of Santa Cruz”
Northern California developer and contractor Barry Swenson Builder (BSB) announced today it has completed construction on the two newest renewable energy projects in Santa Cruz, the City Hall and Police Department Solar Photovoltaic Projects.
5/09/2013 The Registry“Barry Swenson Builder And NINICO Communications Honored By International Academy Of Visual Arts”
San Jose, CA, – Emerging public relations agency NINICO Communications and its client Barry Swenson Builder (BSB) announced Thursday special honors bestowed by the International Academy of Visual Arts (IAVA) with a 2013 Communicator Award of Distinction. The award represents successful advertising campaigns and strategies.
4/24/2013 Silicon Valley Business Journal“Centerra, Downtown San Jose’s newest High-rise”
A few years ago, you couldn’t pay developers enough to pull the trigger on downtown San Jose residential towers. Now, they can’t wait to get started.
4/17/2013 The Santa Cruz Sentinel“Grand Opening of Garage Unlimited”
The Santa Cruz Chamber of Commerce plans a ribbon-cutting noon to 3 p.m. Saturday for Barry Swenson Builder’s project, Garage Unlimited, at 1225 Shaffer Road, on the westside of Santa Cruz.
3/22/2013 The Santa Cruz Sentinel“New Leaf Plans to Anchor Revamped Aptos Village”
The 17,500-square-foot store would be in the Apple Barn being relocated for the Barry Swenson development, which contains 71,000 square feet of commercial space and 63 homes, mostly townhomes and apartments.
3/20/2013 The Registry “Aptos Village turns New Leaf Market”
Barry Swenson Builder (BSB), a division of Green Valley Corporation, announced today it is finalizing agreements with New Leaf Community Markets to locate a new store at Aptos Village.
3/20/2013 San Jose / Silicon Valley Business Journal: “New Leaf Moving into Aptos Village Town Center”
Santa Cruz-based New Leaf Community Markets has signed a letter of intent to occupy 17,500 square feet at the approved mixed-use project in Aptos, according to a news release. New retail projects are a rarity in 6,000-resident Aptos, so this is a significant development for the community.
3/13/2013 San Jose / Silicon Valley Business Journal: “Mountain View gets Hip to CoHousing”
For sale: Upscale condo unit in desirable Mountain View location. Must be willing to hang out with your neighbors regularly.
3/12/2013 The Registry “Mountain View’s First “From the Ground Up” Cohousing Begins Construction”
Members of the Mountain View Cohousing Community (MVCC) are entering a new phase this week, as construction of its 19-unit condominium project begins. Their “new old-fashioned neighborhood” at 445 Calderon Avenue will be the first cohousing community built from the ground up in Silicon Valley.
1/15/2013 Santa Cruz Sentinel: “Barry Swenson Builder expects busy 2013”
After seeing construction projects go into hibernation because of the recession, Barry Swenson Builder of San Jose is forecasting 2013 to be a busier on this side of the hill.
In one of the top five neighborhood shopping-center deals of the year, San Jose’s Santa Teresa Village Shopping Center has been sold.
Construction is expected to be completed by the end of the year on two solar projects that will provide enough electrical power to operate Santa Cruz City Hall and the Police Department.
After nearly six years on the market, City Heights has sold out all 116 regular units.
Barry Swenson Builder (BSB), a division of Green Valley Corporation, announced Wednesday – the anniversary of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake – that the company’s total post quake investment in the rebuilding of downtown Santa Cruz has hit $40 million.
A mixed-use apartment project in San Jose’s midtown should start construction within weeks now that the developer has closed on a $42 million construction loan.
“From our perspective, anything we can do to improve the entitlement process and make it better would help,” said David Gibbons, senior vice president at Barry Swenson Builder.
Aptos Village, a 11.5-acre mixed-use project in Aptos from developer Barry Swenson Builder, is a go.
Barry Swenson Builder is wrapping up construction on the company’s first foray into “utility storage condos” – storage units, but for sale – in Santa Cruz. It’s called Garage Unlimited, and interest is strong, said Jon Lee, development project manager.
An institutional investor has purchased a 206,000-square-foot industrial building on 13 acres in San Jose’s Golden Triangle that is mostly leased to FedEx Ground.
SANTA CRUZ — Long-running plans for a mixed-use town center — complete with a new county park and common area — cleared another hurdle Tuesday as the county Board of Supervisors unanimously approvd the 11.5-acre development.
Buoyed by locally thriving commercial property markets, San Jose-based Barry Swenson Builder is beginning construction on two extended-stay business hotels in Silicon Valley, adding 138 rooms to the Palo Alto inventory and 107 rooms in Santa Clara.
SAN JOSE, CA, Aug 30, 2012 – San Jose based Barry Swenson Builder (BSB), a division of Green Valley Corporation, announced Thursday it will celebrate the company’s thirty-fifth anniversary.
Congratulations to Barry Swenson Builder’s Vendome Phase II for being the first GreenTRIP Conditionally Certified project of 2012! Details on Vendome’s GreenTRIP Project Evaluation Report and Letter to Planning Commissioners here. With a “Very Walkable” Walkscore Vendome II is primely located across the street from the Civic Center light rail station at the northern edge of downtown San Jose. The 122 unit mixed-use multi-family development will offer two VTA Eco Passes per unit for 40 years, creating up to $1.1 Million in gaurenteed transit revenue. The Planning Commission’s unanimous first stage approval for Vendome II is a concrete step towards meeting the rising demand for compact, healthier communities where you can easily drive less and still have access to everything you need.
Two new Marriott-branded hotels that will operate within a single building are slated to sprout near San Jose airport, executives with Barry Swenson Builder said Tuesday.
If all goes according to schedule, developers say, a new office building will occupy that site by the time the holidays roll around in 2013.
Barry Swenson is forging ahead with plans to break ground on an eight-story, 321-room Marriott hotel by the second quarter of 2012. Completion is scheduled for the summer of 2014. The site will be home to a 175-room Residence Inn and a 146-room SpringHill Suites.
The library, built by San Jose-based contractor Barry Swenson Builder, will provide a learning space for a combined student body of over 2,260. The 5,570-square foot ground floor is designated for high school students, while the remaining 7,200-square foot upper level is reserved for middle school students.
Barry Swenson Builder and county staff are helping 17 businesses move from the complex that will become quarters for the Sheriff’s Office; so far, three have found new space.
Representatives from a San Jose development firm recently met with the Novato Design Review Commission to talk about exterior colors and other details of a 25-unit subdivision on the vacant lot that used to be home to Novato Community Hospital.
Barry Swenson Builder, a contractor specializing in design-build projects, currently manages more than 100 properties in several states. A division of Green Valley Corp., the company has long-term relationships with several lenders such as Wells Fargo, Union Bank, Bank of the West and Tokai Bank of California. The builder employs 140 people at two locations, in San Jose and at Live Oak Business Park, a development built by Barry Swenson Builder.
The Silicon Valley Business Journal awarded Barry Swenson Developer of the Year 2010. The award was given in-part to Swenson’s unrelenting dedication to Downtown San Jose, his work with historical rehabilitations, and his continued success despite the downturn with projects such as the most recent Santana Row residential expansion, the rehabilitation of the North First Street Church Christ Science and the construction of the San Pedro Market Place in San Pedro Square.
“There’s no question that downtown San Jose is like night and day to what it was 10, 15 years ago,” said Barry Swenson, a native and president of Barry Swenson Builder, who has erected several high-rise towers. “The downtown is clean as a whistle, there are flowers everywhere, and the streetscape’s good.”
“The results still are my best take at describing folks who exercise power in one of three ways in California’s third largest city. The first and hardest of those ways is getting a project through…….Swenson has deep roots in San Jose. His grandfather Carl began a construction business here in 1926.”
“At a time when developers are searching for ways to cut costs, Barry Swenson Builder has developed a construction system he believes will ensure his company’s survival during a turbulent economy, with an added bonus – the system exceeds seismic standards”
2000 – 2008
“…..the other 80% of his time is spent most recently redefining the skyline of San Jose. And that effort has made his name and his structures visible to almost anyone traveling throughout the Bay Area.”
“A commuter train passes the Skyline at Tamien Station tower in San Jose, CA; Barry Swenson’s transit projects encourage the use of public transportation to decrease vehicle emissions significantly.“
“Four decades ago, Barry Swenson launched his building career sweeping floors for his grandfather’s San Jose construction company, which had built a number of markets, schools and bridges since its 1950s inception….Barry Swenson Builder recently completed the development of Seaport Center, a project that consisted of two 3-story buildings totaling more than 186,000 square feet with a 66,000 SF garage on 6.25 acres in Redwood City.”
“Barry Swenson keeps his goals as a builder in tune with his values as farmer and grand dad…..new ideas, old fashioned ideals…High density housing close to public transit is the onyl way to avoid hour-plus commutes and highways lacing through more and more of what should remain farmland.”
“One of the city’s highest, and densest, residential developments, Vendome Place clusters housing and services over 4.66 acres and is within walking distance of a light-rail stop.”
“Mr. Swenson Has illustrated his continuing interest in pushing the development envelope with his pursuit of the valley’s first high-rise residential projects, including three developments in and around downtown San Jose.”
“The Plaza is one of the most successful residential developments due to the classic and urban architectural design by SB Architects. It has received much attention in the emerging downtown San Jose market.”
“….he redirected his energy, tested his business savvy and built a successful construction company”